We have had a case of the "yucks" in this house, and it all began with Drew's Measles. Finally after about a week we manage to get rid of the measles, but have this lingering respiratory crud. After about 5 more days that appears to be getting better. Then last Tuesday, Drew woke up just plain crabby. So, I took his temperature about 45 minutes AFTER giving him Motrin and it was 102.5, so who knows what it started at. By this time, he was so tired, he was just flopping on the floor and crying constantly, so I put both of them down for a nap and they slept for 2.5 hours. When he woke up he was REALLY warm, so I took his temp and sure enough it was up to 103.9!!! Immediately, I'm convinced something is seriously wrong, so I called the Dr.'s office and the lousy nurse tells me they are down to 1 Dr. because of Spring Break, and said "could you just take him to prompt care", needless to say, I wanted to bite her head off. I said absolutely not, because we have an HSA for our insurance I have to pay the entire amount of the visit and that's why I called while they were open. Anyway, they got us in that afternoon and basically said he had a "viral syndrome" of some sort and they just couldn't put their finger on what it was, and sent us home with a list of things to look for. Wednesday morning he woke up and his left eye was practically swollen shut, so of course I call the Dr.'s office as soon as they open and tell the nurse I'm almost certain it's a sinus infection but think he ought to be checked out, so she says she will check with the Dr. and get right back with me. By 2:40 I still hadn't heard back and he was getting really agitated and pretty much inconsolable, so I called back. They said he wanted to see him right away and got us in at 3.
Immediately, the Dr. takes one look and says "this is VERY serious, and we need to treat it very aggressively", so they did. It's cellulitis and being that it was in his eye, it could enter the blood stream and the brain very easily and cause many very serious complications. So, he got an antibiotic shot in each leg, which they forewarned me that it was a very painful shot, and we would need to hang out for 20 minutes to make sure he didn't have any adverse reactions. No reactions, so we were headed home and had a follow up appointment on Thursday where they put him on oral antibiotics and we headed off to swim lessons. I was so relieved he responded as well as he did to the shot, otherwise we would have been admitted to the hospital for the weekend, I was a wreck.
Friday, during the day he was like a new kid and was so spunky again. Then Friday night he started coughing a lot and it seemed to keep him up all night. Saturday morning, he woke up and his breathing was very shallow. So, I called the Dr. on call and sure enough they wanted us to head to urgent care to have his lungs checked out. So my mom was coming up for the day to go to lunch and do a little shopping downtown, and I was glad she was already on her way. When she got here we loaded up the van and headed to the hospital instead of shopping :( She and Wil hung out in the waiting area for 3 hours, while Drew and I were getting taken care of. They hooked Drew up to check his oxygen levels and they were dangerously low, so they started breathing treatments and did a RSV/Influenza test (which both came back negative). The breathing treatments actually opened his lungs up and made him worse, so they started to panic and had started processing everything to admit him. Then the other Dr. in the ER came and checked him out, and suggested they move the "probe/sensor" for the oxygen level from his foot to his finger and sure enough his levels increased, so they did another breathing treatment. This time it seemed to really slow his respirations down, so we were all relieved and sent home with breathing treatments and nebulizers. Needless to say we go back tomorrow for a recheck, and I think we are finally on the mend. PRAISE THE LORD!!!! We've had a scary few weeks in the Blakeslee House!

1 comments:
Hey Gretch!
I had a feeling that you blogged, so glad I found it, loved looking at your past posts! :)
So sorry to hear that you have been worrying your head off about Drew, that is so scary to have all of that happen to such a little guy! I hope that BOTH of your boys stay healthy now! ♥
Post a Comment